Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Don't Faint

Yes, I know it has been months and months since I blogged, so be it. I actually have some energy at the moment and decided not to waste it on going to the grocery store. So I am blogging. Lucky you.

Life has been pretty non-eventful these past five months (thus the non-blog)so it shouldn't take too long to catch up. Thanksgiving was really fun 'cause David "surprised" me (I was secretly hoping he would)by flying all of the kids home for the holiday. It was short, but very very sweet. We had a great time eating, talking, playing games, playing Rock Band, and eating. The Cratches and the Jetsels came over for T'giving dinner and were able to meet Wade for the first time. It was great!

David and I went to Provo for Christmas with Chris and Matt. Mike and Melinda stayed here in TX with the Walkers and Sara and Wade went to CA for Christmas with the Jacobsens. Everyone got together, however, on January 1st for a Nixon reunion at Aspen Grove. It was our first one during the winter months and turned out to be really fun. There was lots of food and some cross-country skiing, and lots of sledding, and plenty of games and visiting plus a little shopping as well. EVERYONE was able to come and we were all able to stay on the same floor of a newly finished lodge with a great common area and a nice kitchen. Every family had a private room or two with a bath--it was probably the best accommodation we have had at a reunion yet--except for our house in England, of course.

I went back to UT a few weeks later to help Joan after she had hip replacement surgery. It worked out really well. She needed my help and I was also able to spend some time with Sara/Wade and Matthew too. Joan has recovered nicely. She is so dedicated to doing her exercises etc. She is a real example--I know she didn't feel like doing everything the doctor told her to do all the time, but she didn't miss a session and now she is up and running good as new.

Now for the kid update: Mike is still searching for that design job, but starts at Kroger today training as a cashier. Melinda is relieved that she won't be the only one working in their family, although her teaching job ends with the school year and look doubtful for next fall due to cutbacks at the school. They are still living with us until their financial situation perks up. Mike has started looking for design jobs outside of TX, so maybe he will get lucky as he broadens his field.

Chris is really enjoying his job at Deloitte in SanFran. He recently changed apartments since his old roomie with all the furniture got married. He is now living with his friend and workmate, Matt. They get along really well and now he can carpool to work. He loves SanFran. One of these days David and I are going to get out there and visit him and let him show us what all the fuss is about!

Matt is plugging away at school. He is preparing to apply to the Marriott School of Management for the fall semester hoping to get into the business program. As of now, he is planning to stay in Provo and work during the summer--he just needs to find that elusive j-o-b.

Sara and Wade will be graduating in April--YAY!! Wade has been accepted to the master's program in the sociology department for fall. He will be doing that for two years and then, I think, plans to go on for his Phd. Sara is working at a kiosk in the mall selling childrens accessories, but is hoping to find a different job for the summer. She would like to eventually work in the library system for the city or in one of the local schools, but sounds like she will need to start out in a volunteer capacity before she can work her way into a real job. They both determined people and hard workers, so we aren't too worried about their success.

David's job at EDS will end on April 30. He has been interviewing with several companies these past few weeks and we are just waiting for those interviewing processes to continue and see what, if anything, comes out the other end. One job is in NY, one in Ohio, and another in Chicago. We aren't entirely sure at this point what we will do if none of them work out...stay tuned. David just got back from a fabulous trip with Scott and Sherma (and Cathy and Ray) to the Craven Cabin. Scott and Sherma go in a couple of times each winter with snowmobiles and David has always wanted to join them. He was very excited to go and had a great time. He bought these HUGE artic expedition boots at REI for the trip, plus, he had to buy a helmet 'cause the rental place didn't have one big enough for his head. 'Nough said.

I continue to work at the physical therapy clinic and in primary. My rheumatoid arthritis has been giving me trouble of late and my doc and I are trying to get that under control. It is slow going, but things are gradually improving. I am trying to get my head around the possiblity of moving east and getting the house ready etc. Meanwhile, life goes on. We are looking forward to going to UT for graduation in a couple of weeks and I am hoping we can work it out to join Cathy (and whomever else can make it of the invitees) in Hawaii in August. I won't make any promises, but I hope to blog a little more often in the future.


Sara and Wade Jacobsen said...

HALLELUJAH!!! You have made my day.

Micah and Andrew said...

I was wondering where you went! LOL! I'm glad to hear everything is well with you and the family. Keep us updated more often!