Sunday, September 14, 2008

...and on with the story. that Sara has finally updated her blog, I can safely update mine. I know that sounds pretty lame, but after you read hers, you will know why I haven't been able to update mine.
I figured the whole getting engaged and getting married thing was totally her deal and I didn't want to spoil any of her thunder by spilling any of the beans, so to speak.
After Sara went back to school at the beginning of spring term, we were really hoping she would be able to put the unpleasantness of the past several months behind her and be able to move on in a positive way. Little did we know just how positively and how quickly she was going to be able to do just that! It didn't take but a few weeks before she went out to a movie with Wade Jacobsen and texted me the very next day that she had gone out with a young man that she "really liked". The next thing I knew, they were seeing each other nearly every day. And then they WERE seeing each other every day! Then just a few (or was it only a couple) of weeks later we got a phone call at dinner time. Sara asked if Dad could get on the phone with me and asked if we were sitting down and then announced that she and Wade had decided they were getting married. They were thinking of December after graduation. We were not totally shocked (we figured their relationship was headed in that direction) but we were a bit surprised at the shortness of the dating period. But we were happy for them none-the-less and glad they had decided to wait until December, giving them some more time to get to know each other etc. etc. etc. Then we got another phone call the next night letting us know that they had rethought things and had decided to get married in August instead. Their reasoning was that if it was right (and they were certain it was indeed the right thing to do)then why wait. We encouraged them that waiting was still a good idea, but that we supported them in their decision. So in the end August 16 was the date decided upon and wedding preparations began.
David and I were able to make a visit to Provo over the Fourth of July weekend (joined by Mike and Melinda from Rexburg) to meet Wade and spend some time with the happy couple. Plus, I stayed on for a few days and traveled back to Idaho with M&M to help them start packing up their stuff in preparation for Mike's graduation and their move back to TX in August. So I got to spend some good time with Sara and Wade and was even able to be with them when they found their first apartment.
This is probably a good place to interject how much we love Wade Jacobsen. He is such the perfect match for our Sara Lou. He is kind and caring--putting her first in his heart. He is thoughtful, respectful and obviously loves our girl very much. We truly couldn't ask for more in a son-in-law. As time goes on, I contintue to find new and wonderful ways to love him.
So, on to the wedding. Wade's parents arrived in town from California on the 15th (really great people I would love to get to know better) bringing with them a trailer full of furniture and things for the kids new apartment. Once that was all unloaded, we all met at the Timpanogos Temple and Sara received her endowments. In the Celestial Room I realized that I had my whole immediate family--all four of my kids and my husband as well as Mike's wife Melinda there all together in the temple at the same time. So many people live for that moment in their lives and it never comes. All my kids and two kids-in-law and my husband were temple-worthy at the same time and in the Celestial Room together. It was quite a moment. Afterwards we all descended upon an all-you-can eat Chinese restaurant in Lehi. Four of Wade's siblings were there too (one brother and one sister are on a mission in Brasil)plus the Nixon's, Wade's two sets of grandparents, Cathy, plus Laurel and Tori Nixon. It was quite a crowd.
The next day everyone was at the temple bright and early for the ten o'clock sealing. It was wonderful and Sara looked radiant. The day was bright and sunny, but not too hot and photo's afterward were gorgeous. We had a light lunch afterwards at the Nixon's and tried to rest up for the reception that evening.
We held the reception at the White Willow Reception Center in Provo. It is a renovated older home built in 1902. It was gorgeous and just the perfect setting for the reception. The food was exceptional. There was wonderful music, the guests were plentiful, there was dancing, and all in all it was a terrific evening. Wade's old roommates gave him and Sara a night at a local B & B for their wedding gift, so after the reception, the two of them drove off in their decorated car to spend the night in a special room far away from the day-to-day.
The following day we all met for church and then lunch at the Nixon's and then gift opening to follow. The next day Wade and Sara took off for the cabin in Jackson, Wyoming to spend the next week on their honeymoon. Since then they have moved into their apartment, started school, looked for jobs, and basically settled into the married life. Sara has discovered that she likes to cook and has eased into the domestic life with a flair she didn't realize she had. They are both working hard and enjoying married life. I just wish they lived down the street is all.
Now, for news of the rest of the fam. Matthew went up to Provo for the wedding and stayed waiting for school to start. He was somewhat bored for a couple of weeks, but is making up for it now that classes have resumed. And, the good news is that he actually has some good roommates that he can relate to for a change. He enjoys his ward and is meeting new people. He likes his classes except for one which he has had to drop because he couldn't understand anything his prof. was talking about. He will replace it, but I don't know with what yet. He fears all the girls in his new ward are freshmen--but that is according to one of his roommates. I am waiting for a first-hand observation.
Chris left for San Fransisco last Friday. He will arrive there next Tuesday driving through Colo. Springs and Provo on the way. Work starts the 22nd and he hopes that by the time he gets to his new apartment his application will have been officially approved--otherwise he might find himself living on a park bench in Golden Gate Park.
Mike & Melinda stayed in Rexburg until the wedding and then drove on to TX right after the wedding. They are living with us until Mike finds a job and they get their finances in order. He did in fact graduate in Graphic Design in August. Melinda found a job the day after they got here. She is working for Apple Valley School as a full-time teacher for two year olds. She teaches 40 two yr olds in four different classes. She has an assistant to help her and she is off every day by 3pm. It is a great job and she is enjoying it so far. Plus, I like having her home in the afternoons!! Mike is currently polishing up his portfolio and getting it ready to present to prospective employers. His goal is to have it finished by the end of this upcoming week and then he is going to start hitting the pavement looking for the perfect job. GOOD LUCK, MIKE!!
David expects to learn this week or next if Hewlett Packard has a job offer for him or not. One way or the other, we should have some news about his future with either HP or EDS. They will want him to stay on and help with the transition here in Plano no matter what, so that time frame will have to be established one way or the other also. So, we are still somewhat in limbo, but we should know more in the next week or two.
I have been feeling better since the wedding. I changed doctors (not happy with the non-response to my pain issues from my old doctor)and he put me on some prednisone (anti-inflammatory)so I could act like a human and enjoy the wedding. He has kept me on a low dose of the prednisone and started me on Lyrica for the fibromyalgia and I have been doing quite well. He will take me off of the prednisone in another few weeks. I just hope it all doesn't fall apart at that point. We will just have to wait and see. Meanwhile, I am trying to exercise and strengthen what I can while the pain is at bay.
I promise I won't wait so long next time to update my blog. You can blame it on Sara this time. Hee hee. That is about it for now, or at least about all my feeble brain can remember. I think I did petty well considering...


Micah and Andrew said...

That's so cool that you guys play wii! I will definitly look for Mario Cart at Costco now. It sounds like everything went great at the wedding. Sara looked amazing!

Chris Nixon said...

Good blog mom. I think you may have lost some readers during your absence, but this one may be just the thing to bring them back. You have me hooked at least.

Love ya.

Kodi & Lindsey Nixon said...

Hi Camille!!
I'm so glad you found our blog!! Sounds like things have been busy but great :)