Thursday, May 1, 2008

Graduation


Yes, we are back. We got back on Sunday night. I have been sick ever since we left and am still sick. I still can't talk. It has been 14 days so far and I can tell you it is getting old! I went back to the doctor on Monday and she wanted to try to dry up my drainage hoping it would reduce the inflammation of my vocal cords so she gave me a prescription. I am to call her tomorrow if I still can't talk and she will bring out the "big gun" antibiotics. My cough is better and my second sore throat is getting better, so something is working--just still no voice. Plus I am tired. I haven't been to work except for one day and pretty much just staying in bed and sleeping alot. Blah.


Our trip to Utah was quick and full. We got there on Wednesday afternoon. Matt and Chris came over later that evening and the two of them, David, Sara and I went to eat at TGIFridays for a celebratory graduation dinner. After dinner we went to a nickle arcade where all the machines take nickles to run. Chris is the Ms. Packman champion of the whole place--naturally. We won enough tickets between us to get some of Chris' favorite candy and then it was late enough to go back to the Nixon's.



We were talking to Chris about Commencement. He was all raring to go, but had no idea what it entailed. We told him about the processional, the talks, etc., the recessional, etc. He asked how long that took and I said about "3 hours" and I thought he would have a heart attack! We determined that the whole thing was going to be broadcast on BYU-TV, so Chris opted out of going to Commencement--and I have to say that noone was arguing with him. So we all spent the day hanging out--the boys played some b-ball, Matt packed up his stuff and moved out of his apartment, Sara moved into her apartment,and right about dinner time Mike and Melinda arrived from Rexburg to round out the proceedings!



The next day we all met up for an informal "lunch" and get together at the Tanner Building at 11:30 where we mingled with ourselves and ate a few snacks. After that we took some pictures and then trotted over to the Marriottt Center for the Convocation ceremony. This was just for the graduates of the Marriott School of Management--and let me say, I was looking for something sharp to land on before it was all over! There were about 1100 of them!!! Thankfully only two speakers and one of them was a student that we knew who used to be in our ward here in Plano (Austin Peterson) before his family moved to Dubai. The other speaker was as dry as toast can be--even Paul had to get up and leave during his speech. He was lucky to be seated on the outside of the row. Finally they got to the calling of the graduates names and the handing of the diplomas. It took forever, but they eventually got around to Christopher Z. Nixon and we got to do our cheering thing. So now it is official--he is a graduate of BYU with a masters degree in accounting. Hooray. One down and three to go. After the ceremonies Dad took us all to Carl's Jr. for lunch (we were all starving). I had my very first Six Dollar burger and it was Fantastic!! I think I am glad there is no Carl's Jr. here in Plano.

Since we have been home, Matt has started working the morning shift (5:00 to 10:00) at Express Fitness and Chris has escaped to Hawaii. Chris gets back a week from Friday. Once Chris gets back he will start studying 10 hours a day for the CFA (Certified Financial Analyst) exam he will take June 9. On May 10 my brother Zan his wife Bonnie and their four kids are coming to Texas for a short visit. To my knowledge Zan hasn't been back to Texas in over 25 years--so this is a milestone of sorts. It will be fun to visit them here for a change.

It looks like Mike might be finished with his school stuff by early to mid June and they could be on their way back to Texas by then. His final project will need to be turned in 2-4 weeks before the end of the semester and since he only has the one class, there won't be any reason for them to hang around. I will mean that he won't "walk" at graduation, but could mean he will start a job that much sooner. He will know for sure this week. So, the state could be bulging with Nixon's before the summer is over.

No comments: